Lair

Submit your reviews of James Herbert's books here.

REVIEWS ONLY PLEASE - NO DISCUSSIONS.

Lair

Postby Tina » 17 Sep 2006, 12:20

Reviews of James Herberts Lair
Tina
Site Admin

Lair

Postby Tina » 18 Sep 2006, 12:53

"I have been reading horror fiction since I was 15 or so. Starting just after seeing Stephen King's "Carrie" at the cinema, by the time I was in my 20's I had "outgrown" the "scare yourself silly" reading matter. Until my father suggested I borrow his copy of Creed - once read I was hooked.

I managed to get a copy of The Lair next and couldn't put it down till it was finished, and then went in search of Domain, missing The Rats since none of the book shops had a copy. I finally managed to find one at the second hand shop. Now I have an almost complete collection - for the second time - after lending a copy to a friend who then moved away.

This is the best trilogy I have ever read, and apart from buying the new ones as they are released I re-read them over and over."

Rating: *****
Submitted by Karen - October 2001
Tina
Site Admin

Lair

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:54

Part 2 of the Rats trilogy. I believe this takes place about 1/2 dozen years after the 1st installment. It takes place in the forest (Epping)where the black mutant rats from the first novel escape to. Our hereo this time is Lucas (Luke) Pender a ratcatcher a very prestigous job considering what happened in the last go around with the Rats. Pender believes the Rats are back, the authority does not, what eles is new eh. Of course all hell breaks loose! Are the humans triumphant, read it and find out! Suspenseful right to the end but I take a point off for being too short (212 pages). Seemed a little rushed at the end but if you like Rats don't miss this one.

Rating: ****
Submitted by Richard - May 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Postby dark-hyena » 13 Feb 2007, 23:51

Though much more bloody and possibly slightly scarier than its percurser, this story for me suffered from the fact that the main character was a total joke. For crying out loud, he was totally dislikeable and annoying in the way he constantly boo hooed like a comic book superhero. He was worse than Culver, the protagonist of the sequel, which is saying A LOT!
Crying for help won't work seeing as your larynx is among the first things I'll cut out.
dark-hyena

Re: Lair

Postby lurch95 » 24 Jan 2012, 15:04

i was addidcted to this book and couldnt seem to put this down. it was better than the fist one rats and definatly more grosume... when i read james herbert books i get captivated and picture this scenes in my head
wonderful author :D
rating *****
lurch95

Return to Book Reviews