Once

Submit your reviews of James Herbert's books here.

REVIEWS ONLY PLEASE - NO DISCUSSIONS.

Once

Postby Tina » 17 Sep 2006, 12:25

Reviews of James Herberts Once
Tina
Site Admin

Postby thomkindred » 18 Sep 2006, 07:50

Definaltly THE BOOK that put James Herbert as my number one writer!

Gothic fantacy is something i love in films, but to be able to read a book that was more visual then many films I've seen is a real acheivment! The detail of the creatures and surrounding are one of my favourite parts of the books.

All of the characters have something mysterious about them. Does Thom really have a strong link to the wood creatures? Is Nell quick good or bad? Does Hugo know what on earth is going on!

Scary. Funny. Emotional. Erotic and just simply amazing!

10 out of 10
thomkindred

Postby L » 19 Sep 2006, 13:48

I would certainly rate Once as one of my favourite JH novels - I believe that Mr Herbert has mastered the dark fantasy genre as successfully as he mastered outright horror.

From the opening sentence to the last I was completely immersed in another world while I read Once, I felt as though I was part of the story.

It was a rollercoaster of emotions - humour, anger, revulsion - and of course it was not without some genuine scares.

I very rarely identify with characters in books the way I did with Once, I felt as though I actually knew them - indeed I loved, hated and pitied them accordingly.

If you believe a dark tale involving modern day magic and fantasy is for you then look no further - get yourself a copy of Once without further delay and lose yourself in it - who knows - you might just meet me in there!!!

Heed well the warning though - "this is no fairy story"
Has anyone got any more hamburgers and drugs? (Elvis Presley's last words)

L

Once

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:58

"Once... a faerie tale for adults. This is one of Herberts' best books to date. Following the life of a young man (Thom Kindred), who after a stroke, returns to his childhood home to recover. After a strange occurance on a walk in the woods, he discovers that the woodland around him is home to a range of mythical creatures, from elfs to faeries.

This is truly a faerie tale for adults, Herbert truly make us believe once again that there is more to the world than what we see. At times you do get a feeling of i've read this before, (due to the resemblance (if not physically) of Thom to Nick Dismas (Others), (the limp for instance)).

To be fair (faere?) this is one of Herberts' best works to date, so if you're planning reading any of his work make sure you read this at least ONCE...."

Rating: ****
Submitted by Craig Phillips - November 2001
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:58

"Having been a fan of The Herbert since a young age, I have read all of his books many times. I own every one in Hardback and Paperback. I feel that Once.... although not his best work, is a lively and daring excursion into a previously unchartered realm of horror. The story itself is captivating and the well-crafted characters are almost tangible.

As with any Herbert novel, the book remains glued to your hands whether you like it or not. A fine balance between sanity and spiralling madness leaves you thinking... 'is this all in his head?' I can't wait to discover the unspeakable secret of the Bracken Estate....

JH has kicked ass yet again."

Submitted by G V Tyler - October 2001
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:59

"I'm 19 and not that bright but once was the best book I have ever read. When the book ended I was actually upset! p.s jenet would get it."

Rating: *****
Submitted by Gaz Long - October 2001
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 03:01

"Mr Herbert has again given us a jewel of a story in Once his latest book. As always the language, lyricism and descriptive words give us the usual shiver and the shudder, but the lingering awe aroused by this story is brushed by the wings of the erotic and imbued with childhood fairies and elves, although the other denizens that live in the forest of Castle Bracken where the story takes place are not so pleasant, infact they are positively dark and wicked. Thom Kindred returns to his childhood home Little Bracken in the grounds of Castle Bracken - recovering from a stroke, Thom uses his respite period in Little Bracken to build himself back up, return to his trade as a carpenter and utilize the wooded terrain to exercise his damaged leg. What he discovers in the forest is more than dragonflies and bees. Thom has little or no time to settle in when he meets the voluptuous Nell Quick, the nurse to bed ridden and dying, Sir Russell, who owns Castle Bracken. Thom is in conflict with his emotions in the offset with Nell, he's strangely attracted to her but nevertheless instinct tells him not to give into the bewitching charms of Ms Quick - just as attractive as the settings he returns to, he fears there is a darker side to her. Without giving too much of the plot away, suffice to say lovers of The Magic Cottage will prize this book and perhaps even elevate it to a higher status, you will not be disappointed. James Herbert gives us plenty of shocks and surprises, the stirring of the hormones and the surge of adrenaline, awakening something deep inside with the primordial emotions of sex and fear, life and death. It will make you aware of your own existence, trepidations, morals, fervour and philosophies and when Mr Herbert has made its readers question these what more could Mr Herbert ask!"

Submitted by Judith McDermott - September 2001
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:00

This is quite simply the best book I have ever read (apart from JRR Tolkien's books - sorry James!)

From start to finish I was so immersed in the book that I couldn't put it down. I felt that I actually the characters - human and otherwise - and I have never before had the emotions fear, horror, revulsion (and Spiders don't scare me in real life!) peace,joy and rapture evoked to this degree by a book before, not to mention frequent sexual stimulation, especially the part with Nell Quick & Katy Budd.

I have to admit that I actually felt a fair bit of pity for Nell & Hugo at the end - I'm not sure if that's what the author had in mind but there you are.

This is one book I'd definitely like to see a sequel for (That's a hint James!)

Submitted by Leigh Thomson - February 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:02

I am just over half finished with this book, and I must say, it is one of the best I've read. Herbert uses details perfectly to describe the hidden world thom finds himself a part of. I hate to stop reading even for a moment, subconsciously afraid the book might vanish if I don't finish it now...

Submitted by Jennifer - February 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:12

This was my first book to read from Herbert. A very pleasing trip into fantasy. After a day at work I usually go home and get on the PC. For three days I raced home to read, what was happeneing next. The closer It came to end of the book, the more I hated knowing it would be over soon. There are not many books that I hope a sequel is written for, but this is one of them. I was a captive, and didn't want to be freed. The style is great, at times I picked my feet off the ground to keep ( well lets just say) safe. I am thrilled to find a new author that held me to each page.

Submitted by C E Sturgill - March 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:18

This beautiful dark, but strangel innocent tale is a return to James Herbert at his very best. I was completely enthralled from the first chapter. When James Herbert is ar his best, he's unbeatable.
Read this book!

Submitted by Paul Bridgeman - March 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:23

I had never heard of James Herbert but the book was cheap and the cover looked good, I know you are not supossed to judge a book by its cover but this time I'm glad I did. The storey was thrilling and had me gripped from the start. It will stir emotions you never knew you had. Since reading Once I have read Rats and I am now reading Others, I can't wait to read The Magic Cottage. I would recommend this book to Horror and Fantasy fans alike!

Submitted by Maria - March 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:29

This was an amazing book! I've read a lot of books in the last year, but this was the best by miles!!! I honestly couldn't put it down from start to finish!!,It really draws you in sends you imagination into overdrive - Not a single dull moment. I had withdrawl symptoms when I finished :-(
I went on about it so much to my boyfriend that he decided to read it (the first book he's read in 5 years!) and now he can't put it down or stop going on about it..... I now have a queue of people who want to borrow it now!
I cant wait to read another one of James Herbert's books.

Submitted by Vanessa - April 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:39

i have just finished once i was so pulled in bye the story. for me it was an emotional but wonderfull experence. i have read most of the james herbert books but with this one he truly excelled him self. a book not for the light harted but an exellent peace of work.

Submitted by Sam Aithen
Tina
Site Admin

Once

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:47

This was the 1st book by james that i read - and i really enjoyed every bit of it. The magic of the woods and the characters was amazing. It all seemed so real, and i dont look at the woods or tree's in the same way as i did before.
I have just gone and purchased 3 more of James's books, they are gripping, and well written. Im only 15 but i appreciate His work.

Submitted by Willow - May 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Next

Return to Book Reviews