The Rats

Submit your reviews of James Herbert's books here.

REVIEWS ONLY PLEASE - NO DISCUSSIONS.

The Rats

Postby Tina » 17 Sep 2006, 12:16

Reviews of James Herberts The Rats
Tina
Site Admin

Postby dark lord » 18 Sep 2006, 04:49

This was the first JH novel I read...

From the first page to the last it was gripping stuff, particularly to a 12 year old, as I was then...
The detail on descriptions of scenes is second to none as far as I'm concerened!
Character background storylines were also pretty cool and allowed you to realte to the individuals in the story...
Full of gore, as you would expect, not only from a JH novel, but also from one of such a horrific, gruesome nature!

Next time you put out your rubbish, make sure there are no rats(large or small) lurking about or you won't sleep for a month after reading this!
"I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel!"

dark lord

The Rats

Postby Tina » 18 Sep 2006, 05:50

"I have been reading horror fiction since I was 15 or so. Starting just after seeing Stephen King's "Carrie" at the cinema, but the time I was in my 20's I had "outgrown" the "scare yourself silly" reading matter. Until my father suggested I borrow his copy of Creed - once read I was hooked.

I managed to get a copy of Lair next and couldn't put it down till it was finished, and then went in search of Domain, missing The Rats since none of the book shops had a copy. I finally managed to find one at the second hand shop. Now I have an almost complete collection - for the second time - after lending a copy to a friend who then moved away.

This is the best trilogy I have ever read, and apart from buying the new ones as they are released I re-read them over and over."

Rating: *****
Submitted By Karen - October 2001
Last edited by Tina on 21 Sep 2006, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 18 Sep 2006, 12:38

"What a brilliant book, I read the whole thing in one day and rushed out to buy Lair and Domain. The Rats should be made into a film. The best book I have EVER read"

Submitted by Gina - October 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 18 Sep 2006, 12:41

"The Rats was a spine chilling book of terror! I read it this year around May. I'm 13 years old and not easy to scare but this one did the job! Some really gory wonderful adjectives are used in this book, I love it I just couldn't put it down. I couldn't get over how descriptive it was. My favourite part was in the cinema and now I just can't bear going to cinemas just in case I feel a weight on my shoe and the feeling of fur against my leg, then sharp teeth biting into my flesh. eww"

Submitted by Eleanor Rhodes - October 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 18 Sep 2006, 12:42

"This is the third time of me reading the rats I will never grow tiresome of reading this trilogy unable to put down constantly thinking, wondering what happens next getting so involved with the characters and what befalls them. The rats is a must for all horror fans who are not squeamish or faint hearted."

Submitted by Sharon Grainger - September 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 18 Sep 2006, 12:43

"I am an avid horror story reader and must tell you that the series of books "Rats" even outshines Stephen King, there is such a shortage of your novels here in Cape Town S.A.. Keep on thrilling."

Submitted by Hazel Nicholson - August 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 18 Sep 2006, 12:44

"A true horror involving the most un-understood creatures, RATS and if you weren't afraid of them, you are now. A great terror and I never wanted to leave the book down. Excellent."

Submitted by David Fitchett - March 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:11

I have read all of Mr Herberts books, the rats is the book that i keep comming back to in fact the three novels are one of the finest collections morden horror in recent history. i do not agree that they should be made into a film as there would be few who would be able to bring across the tension and fear that the books generate. the rats was my first James Herbert book it left an impression with me that still fills me with fear.
All that i can say to the unconverted buy a copy of the rats tun down the lights get a glass of wine and prepare to go on one of the scarest roller coaster rides of your life.

Submitted by Brian Crawford - March 2003
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:26

This was the first Herbert novel for me, and to this day some twenty years since my first read it remains the only story whether on paper or film to actually give me a nightmare. I don`t rat it as the best in the trilogy but it is still an absolute corker.

Rating: ****
Submitted by Iain Gilbert - March 2003
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:34

I Read The Rats about 7 years ago, it was actually my first book. i worked in a little shop and i bought it to pass the time, within moments i was engrossed, i had'nt been a big book fan up till this point. once i had read and finished the book i felt like i had been present at all the events which took place. I WAS HOOKED!!!.
I have since read most of "James Herberts" work and would like to take this opportunity to thank him for Writing. and hopefully i will read all of his work, SOMEDAY.

Submitted by Paul Hunter - April 2003
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:36

i have to thank you james for writing the best 3 books ive ever read, domain being the favourite. it would be great if there was some plans to turn either of them into a film? do you live in essex at all?

Submitted by Lee - April 2003
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:42

This book frightened me more than any other I have read. It stayed in my thoughts for weeks after I put it down. I have read it 3 times now, and know that I will pick it up again one day. A superb book with excellent sequels.

Rating: ****
Submitted by Tracey - April 2003
Tina
Site Admin

The Rats

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 04:01

Hi I'm from the Netherlands and I also read 'the rats'for school. I also couldnt put it down I read it in three days. It was just so cool, loved it! Greets from Holland, hahaha!! bye

Submitted by Marlous - May 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Re: The Rats

Postby lurch95 » 11 Nov 2011, 15:26

This was the first James Herbert book in which i read i have only just started reading them and i feel as though they are brilliant.
Rats gets straight into the story and it is one of those books in which you can never put down. loved the characters and the story line within this book. i am now reading liar and cant seem to put it down. :D

id give this book *****
keep writing
lurch95

Return to Book Reviews