The Secret of Crickley Hall

Submit your reviews of James Herbert's books here.

REVIEWS ONLY PLEASE - NO DISCUSSIONS.

The Secret of Crickley Hall

Postby Tina » 17 Sep 2006, 12:17

Reviews of James Herberts The Secret of Crickley Hall
Tina
Site Admin

Postby Rael » 18 Sep 2006, 14:47

Without giving too much away, this is a very well crafted novel. James spends the first 1/3 of the book laying the foundations and then proceeds to build the drama on top of that. Solid foundations give this an excellent feel throughout.

The lead role is played by an American (a first?). He and his English family move from London to the rugged north Devon coast. A temporary move while he is seconded. They rent Crickley Hall. Of course not all is well at Crickley Hall, but the Secret is what lies behind the mysterious and distressing events.

Not too much horror in this one, but a few chilling moments – brilliantly described, as always. It has similarities with Haunted and a style not too dissimilar to Once. Enjoy!
Caryl Chessman sniffs the air and leads the parade, he knows in a scent, you can bottle all you made.
Rael

Postby dark lord » 19 Sep 2006, 03:09

It's hard not to give too much detail for what I have read so far, but the fact I have only read the first 15 chapters and haven't even made a dent in the storyline yet hopefully means I'm not giving too much away!

So far, as the history of the family and that of the village have slowly started to unfold, the suspense of happenings at Crickley Hall create an atmosphere of wanting to turn the page to find out what happens, but with a tinge of fearing what you might read!

Although I like his other novels following a solitary main character, I like the story focusing around a family in The Secret Of Crickley Hall...

Strange things be happenin' up there at the Hall...
"I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel!"

dark lord

secrets

Postby shez » 08 Oct 2006, 10:29

Having now finished the book i thought it was very good, I agree with other reviews that it was a great read albeit a sweet yet sick read. Glad that it was a 600 pages, read it in 2 and a half days, nobody true only 2 days, cant seem to put a James Herbert book down until its done.... now waiting 2+ yrs 4 the next book. what can you do but read rival authers.................Need another Ghosts of Sleath or Others..
shez

Postby vicky37 » 16 Oct 2006, 14:00

HI I HAVE JUST FINISHED READING CRICKLEY HALL, AFTER WAITING 4 YEARS BRGINING WAS GOOD, THE MIDDLE WAS WELL WRITTEN BUT BUT LOST THE EMOTION. THE END WAS RUSHED I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED, IT WAS SET UP TO BE A GREAT ENDING BUT IT FELT LIKE HE GOT BORED AND TOOK A SHORT LEAVING OUT THE FINAL BATTLE.
vicky37

Postby beowolf » 18 Oct 2006, 07:12

Is it me or was the graphic description of the childrens deaths just a little too 'sickly' :shock: even for JH. Having got over the nausea I did enjoy the book.
One thing I do like about JH he's not afraid to tackle sensitive issues 'child abuse', 'child abduction' etc.
beowolf

the Secret of Crickley Hall

Postby betapeta » 18 Oct 2006, 13:18

Another James Herbet master piece, I read it in 8 hours....mainly because i couldnt put the thing down...i was waiting for a lull in between chapters but there never was one!!! James Herbert does just have this ability to keep you on the edge...there was one paragraph where i couldnt read the words quickly enough to find out what happend!!! there is everything in this book.....and he has this ability, unlike certain other horror writers i know, of filling you in on all the details without straying from the original story...everything he tells you is important....and adds to the need to find out just what the hell is going on!! the suspense is greater in this book then i found with others such as the ghosts of sleath. without giving anything away all i can say is read it! its fantasticaally brilliant and it has been worth while the wait.
once we are forgotten we cease to exist
betapeta

Postby netcom2000 » 09 Dec 2006, 20:26

What I want to know is, Im about 100 pages from the end, and where the bloody hell is Chester, more worried about him
"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968
netcom2000

Postby Rebecca-Jayne » 09 Dec 2006, 20:47

LOL dont wanna spoil it for you :P
Rebecca-Jayne

Postby Hel66 » 17 May 2007, 23:52

The title suggested a sinister old house with a ghostly secret and the story doesn't disappoint.
At 600 pages it's well worth it's money and Herbert builds up the tension nicely so that I had to read nearly all the last three hundred pages in one sitting!

For fans of James Herbert's earlier books, this isn't in the same gory style...however I like both styles, and it shows the authors talent to be able to write a thrilling book that doesn't have to rely on the gory side of horror to be thrilling.

I can see by some of the other reviews that a few people found parts of the book disturbing...especially as the 'secret' is revealed. I have to say I didn't...but thats because I view novels as fiction.

I liked the characters (although I did find the husband, Gabe, a bit two dimensional) and some of the 'haunting' descriptions certainly had an effect on my vivid imagination.
Never choose your women or your linen by candlelight
English proverb ~ 1573
Hel66

Postby Pepsi » 05 Jun 2007, 01:33

beowolf agree with you, some of the childrens deaths were abit too graphic(2 even made me cry).
I found i could not put the book down and some places it was like watching a scarry film through the fingers kind of reading!!
You are there in CH with the charaters witnessing it as they do,fantastic reading!!
" My redemption began in Hell......."

Pepsi

Return to Book Reviews