Should I Vanish .....

This is where you can chat to your hearts content about anything and everything, within reason of course!!

Should I Vanish .....

Postby Lyka Monk » 15 Nov 2011, 03:48

I'll 'just' be computer shopping :( My beloved little Lap Top died this weekend. Now I'm really just trying to cover as many holes as I can. Lest it all go down for an indefinite duration. Working off a Dell ~ pre 2008 era! I'm f**ked! :cry:
" And if you make it past the shotgun in the hall ....."
Lyka Monk

Re: Should I Vanish .....

Postby L » 15 Nov 2011, 10:19

Good Luck!!!
Has anyone got any more hamburgers and drugs? (Elvis Presley's last words)

L

Postby Rupert » 15 Nov 2011, 13:13

I got online back in 2001 when I was given an "obsolete" pc. I wasn't planning on replacing it when it gave up in 2008, had a month or two checking my email on the library computers and had enough of that—apparently my library has employed a Nazi, and I was worried about my instinct kicking in. Got savings in the bank, and basically that's going to get spent as soon as I drop off the mortal coil so I figured why not just replace it? These things become a part of your life. I got a Dell desktop, cost me £287 without a monitor; three years on, it works out at £2 a week, if I can last another three years then that will come down to £1 a week. Spend more than that on the cat that has moved in with me. Money well spent looking at it like that.
Rupert

Postby muppety » 15 Nov 2011, 15:21

Hope you can sort something out! x
muppety

Postby Lyka Monk » 16 Nov 2011, 00:27

L wrote:Good Luck!!!

Cheers, L. I bloody need it!

el Rupe; Following a completely disgusting experience, at the hands of Dell, back around '93, I've become one of the most embittered bastards on earth, regarding them.

Fact that I'm typing this through one of their things proves no irony. This is one anyone last touched in '98. I've stripped it back to its bare bones. Cleaned and polished those. Still it's like watery shit uphill!

Don't know where I'll be going from here, mate. I'll be surprised if this wreck lasts a week. But, I couldn't last that long without a computer.

I foresee the old overdraft taking a beating. Another Packard Bell though? It could well be well worth it :wink:

Mupp's; I'll bloody well Have To, luv! Micro wave. Slow Cooker. Computer. Some things are just 'essential' for modern day living.

Forgive me: I'm just talking my way round to facing the fact that I'll probably be £300 down by the end of this bloody week! :(
Lyka Monk

Postby Rupert » 16 Nov 2011, 03:00

I have found myself down £3000 down after the old boiler packed in last month; got a new one fitted last week. Had the last one 25 years, I was kind of hoping it would outlive me.
Rupert

Postby L » 16 Nov 2011, 10:27

This all makes me feel much better about the £10.60 I had to part with to fix my driver's side brake light on Saturday :D
Has anyone got any more hamburgers and drugs? (Elvis Presley's last words)

L

Postby Lyka Monk » 17 Nov 2011, 23:58

:cheers: Tentatively good news, peeps! It appears I've 'fixed' this new one and am now, at least, surfing alright. Bit bloody slow, compared to my little old LT. But, hell; I'm here!

Of course, now I'm horribly aware that I'm on my back up machine. This thing dies? I'll need a fresh back up in the wings. However, I'm talking with some 'Geeks', else where. They're pointing me as a welter of used IBM LT's for under £150 delivered. Tempting. But, I've just put it to them that I'd actually prefer a DT. Something I can go inside and replace worn out bits of.

We'll see :wink:
Lyka Monk

Postby Rupert » 18 Nov 2011, 02:36

I thought you liked to surf while you're on the bog? However, if you're willing to sacrifice mobility then desktops are far more economical. When I replaced mine I was able to keep my old monitor, so that shaves £100 off the price right there. See if you can hold out for another 5/6 weeks, retailers will drop their prices just after Christmas to shift their old gear; some good deals will be coming up.
Rupert

Return to General Chit Chat