The Magic Cottage

Submit your reviews of James Herbert's books here.

REVIEWS ONLY PLEASE - NO DISCUSSIONS.

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 17 Sep 2006, 12:22

Reviews of James Herberts The Magic Cottage
Tina
Site Admin

Postby L » 20 Sep 2006, 02:26

The Magic Cottage was JH's first foray into the world of dark fantasy and it's a foray that I for one am very glad he took. He was to visit this area of literature once again several years later with "Once", a novel that The Magic Cottage is often compared to. Both of these books sit happily amongst my top 5 JH list, as I feel that dark fantasy is a theme explored with brilliance by him.

The basic premise of the book involves a young(ish) couple moving into a new cottage in a fairly remote area, whereupon it soon becomes apparent that this is no ordinary cottage, there are other-wordly powers afoot. There is a cult in residence nearby that also has designs on the cottage, as well as it's new occupants.

There are many twists and turns in the book, the reader is certainly kept on his/her toes.

There is an underlying warning about the dangers attached to becoming involved with religious cults, as our hero and heroine's lives are torn apart by that very thing, will their commitment to each other see them through?

I would heartily recommend this book and suggest that if you enjoyed Once - you should certainly enjoy this. I would also say that if you have already read and enjoyed The Magic Cottage but have yet to read Once - what's stopping you?
Has anyone got any more hamburgers and drugs? (Elvis Presley's last words)

L

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:22

"It is no good reading Herbert in the middle of the day with dance music playing on the radio or cd player. However if you play something with a mood, something perhaps celtic in sound, then the barriers between this world and that of the book you are reading begin to blur and you are transported into Herberts' world. The Magic Cottage opened very well and I was hooked. When this was writeen I was about 6 (20 now) so some of the references to stuff from the eighties or before that were lost on me. But that didn't stop my enjoyment of the book. I was disappointed that more wasn't made of the events surrounding a certain characters death in the book (no spoilers here) and, reading this book in 2001, it was difficult not to see how much of a knock off Midsummer Murders on ITV is of this book. I read this book in 3 days. Mostly from ten o'clock one Friday until 6 o'clock the next morning, without noticing the movement of time. Halfway through, I just had to finish it. The pull of the story was so strong. Where as King and Koontz are in your face and scientific respectively with their horror fiction, Herbert is so subtle the effect is twice as good. In four days, as a result of this book, I bought 9 more. Check out second hand bookshops to help get the full range as it might work out cheaper. I'm reading another book at the mo, but I can't wait to get back to Herbert again. Long may this talented writer continue to entertain."

Rating: *****
Submitted by Martin Drury - November 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:24

"I would like to congratulate James on having written an excellent novel. His plot weaving is effortless, his pacing is sublime and above all, his narrative flows into dialogue into correspondence and into the distance. No mean feat that, James has reached the place. Shame he hasn't been there since."

Submitted by Joe Murphy - October 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:25

"The idyllic setting, the touching realism of a young couples' romantasism and the terror of their relocation. This book is truely fantastic. Herbert combines the cinematic with realism to create a haunting atmosphere, and one in which we identify with and care for our leading characters. Mike's cowardice and devotion to Midge give him a human quality like no other character I've encountered, and Midge compliments this beautifully. Life appears to be going wonderfully for the young couple, but for how long."

Submitted by Samantha89 - September 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:26

"Of all the James Herbert novels, The Magic Cottage remains my favourite by far. It's atmosphere is totally unique and, due to the nature of the story, truly manages to conjure up that feeling you get on a hot summer's evening sitting outside with a drink. The sun setting behind the trees and a slight breeze becoming apparent. Most of the book seems to capture the idyll of living in such an isolated retreat the subtle way in which the dark magic slowly creeps into the scenario unravels beautifully. I hope that one day James manages to equal the atmosphere in this book. The Ghosts of Sleath almost got there, but never quite hit the mark (although it's still an excellent book). I wouldn't be lying if I said that The Magic Cottage is easily in my top three books of all time."

Submitted by Brian Jones - August 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:27

"This was the first James Herbert book that I read and in my opinion I think this book is superb! Myself and my boyfriend are now dedicated fans of Herberts' books! The books are impossible to put down and guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat! We would recommend his books to any booklover! Can't wait for the next novel!"

Submitted by Lisa - July 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:27

"What can I say this has to be the best book I have ever read, I just couldn't put it down. Anyone that says this isn't a great book needs to be slapped in the face for their ignorance. It totally describes me and my girlfriend which is why I like it the most, a definate thank you is in order for Mr Herbert and I'm still continuing to read and own as many novels of his as I can, again thank you."

Submitted by Kevin - May 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 21 Sep 2006, 02:28

"This is my favourite book. I love it. James Herbert is a fantastic writer who uses great imagery to get his views across. I found myself falling in love with the cottage but then things began to happen, dark things! Haunted is great too!"

Submitted by Sam Ife - May 2001
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 02:56

I could just picture myself there while reading this fantastic book, i just cold not put it down it is fantastic, i must have read it 3 times now. Briliant.

Rating: ****
Submitted by Elizabeth Wilkes - February 2003
Tina
Site Admin

The Magic Cottage

Postby Tina » 28 Sep 2006, 03:44

Although I read this book a number of years ago, the images are as vivid and real in my head today as they were then. A combination of the quaint and the suspense of the haunted happenings kept me gripped for 3 days, I just couldnt put the book down, almost as if I was being dragged/sucked into it as well - excellent.

Submitted by Suzanne Collins - April 2003
Tina
Site Admin

Postby BASSI » 22 Dec 2006, 20:53

i really like this book, it was hard to put down, but i did not like ending to this book,
BASSI

Return to Book Reviews